Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DIY Laundry Detergent

Laundry Detergent
Ok so here is the recipe that you need to make the Laundry Detergent! There are a few ways to make this but I feel that this one works the best for me. I have never had an issue with it and it smells great. Joe is a huge advocate of great smelling clothing and has a very strong nose and this passes his expectations. You may also add those "unstoppable" fabric softener ball things if you really need to but I feel that it is unnecessary. Zote actually smells really good. Zote is a bar of soap that I find at Walmart in the laundry section since it is a "Laundry Bar" made for doing laundry and it states on there that it is safe for children's clothing as well. I do not have sensitive skin but it should be safe for those of you who do. You might however prefer to to stick to the White Zote bar to ensure less coloring to prevent irritation. Both the pink and the white bars smell the same. Here is a picture of the items that I use below and all can be found that you local grocery store mostly in the Laundry isle.

Recipe & Instructions: 

2:1:1 Ratio between products    Use: 2 Tb - 1/4 c. depending on clothing soil. ( I use 2 Tb almost every time) 

  • 1 Bar Zote Soap (grated equals 6 cups)
  • 3 cups Borax
  • 3 cups Washing Soda
First you are going grate the zote. I use a fine cheese grater that I got from Ikea. I would not worry about buying a specific grater for this. It is just soap and it washes clean off. Then measure out the rest go ingredients and mix well together. Store in a air tight closed container. 


For the Fabric Softener I use just straight distilled white vinegar about 2Tb- 1/4c as well depending on the size of the load. I know I Know… "you do not want your clothes smelling like vinegar"but trust me try it!! it works amazing and helps with static as well. You clothes WILL NOT smell like vinegar. Vinegar is like a miracle cleaner and is naturally antibacterial. so TRY IT!! You will not be disappointed. 

Finally Feel free to make this your own. For instance adding Baking Soda to the recipe if you have some extra funk to workout clothing, work attire (restaurant, mechanic act.), or stinky boys haha. Or change it up according to your needs. This recipe is just the best one that I have found to work for me and it truly last a very long time because you do not need to add so much to the wash and it is HE friendly. 

Price Break Down: 
Borax -  $3.99
Washing Soda - $4.99 
Zote - $0.97 

Price per Load: 
DIY Laundry Detergent: $5.96 - 72 Loads = $0.08 Per Load 
Tide Liquid Laundry: $20.32 - 95 Loads = $0.21 per Load
Arm and Hammer: $6.79 - 32 Loads  = $0.21 per Load 
That is a SAVINGS of $0.13 per Load!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment