Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Automatic Dishwasher Detergent Recipe

Ok so there are a few things that I need to talk about before making this. DO NOT add the citric acid directly to the detergent or it will become one solid rock and you will not be able to use it lol. I have done this and it sucks. It is way easier to just add it separately. I just keep the Citric acid in a mason jar and add 1/4 tsp to each load after I add the 1 Tb of actual detergent. Also I make a double batch so that I am not making this all the time. It is very quick and does not involve any grating :)!! However I choose to use a food processor (vitamix) to blend all the ingredients into a fine powder. This is just a preference and not necessary. I just do it so I know everything is blended well and I do not have to stir it when I need to use it. Also you may want to play with the amount of citric acid that you add to the load. If you dishes are coming out a little cloudy try adding a little more citric acid to the load to meet your needs! Have fun.

    Dish Detergent Recipe

    • 1 cup Borax 
    • 1 cup Washing Soda 
    • 1/2 coarse Kosher Salt 
    • 1/4 Citric Acid ( I keep mine separately to avoid my detergent from turning into a solid rock and I just add 1/4 tsp per load when I add the other detergent). 
    This will yield about 24 oz of detergent. I usually double the load so that I do not have to make it as often. Citric acid can be tricky to find sometimes but I have found it in the canning section of the grocery store by the plastic freezer bags. I have also found it at our local home brew/hydroponic store for a great deal creeper since you will be using it frequently. I believe I bought a 1 lb bag for roughly $3.00 and it has lasted me a long time since I use 1/4 tsp per load. 
     
    Word to the wise: DO NOT add the citric acid directly to the detergent itself. It will turn it into a solid rock and you will be chiseling it out!!! I have done it and it sucks. I usually keep a 1/4 tsp next to the container and will add t when I add the Tb of detergent. It takes 1 extra second and is total worth it. Another thing is that I use White distilled Vinegar as my rinsing agent and with works wonders. I am obsessed with vinegar. It is cheep and in my opinion is one of the best things ever found!!! You just add it in replace of "jet dry". 
    Price Break Down: 
    • 1 Box Borax = 76oz $4.29 / 8oz = $0.45 per batch 
    • 1 Box Washing Soda = 55oz $2.19/ 8oz = $0.32 per batch 
    • 16oz Citric Acid = $3.00 / 4oz = $0.37 per batch
    • 1 Box Kosher Salt = 48oz $1.99 / 4oz= $0.16 per batch 
    • 1 Gal White Distilled Vinegar = $1.49 / 4oz = $0.06 per batch

    Price Per Load 
    • Palmolive eco gel - 75oz detergent = $3.79 for 28 loads / $0.14 per load 
    • DIY Dishwasher Detergent - $2.28 for 48 loads / $0.05 per load 
    Savings of $0.09 Per Load 
    Price Per Fill 
    • Jet Dry rinsing agent - $3.99 per fill 
    • White Distilled Vinegar - $0.06 per Fill
    Savings of $3.93 per Fill 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment